I am reading all kind of reviews of Sennheiser`s newest Earbuds and Headset “Momentum True Wireless” (Amazon Affiliate) since it was launched late 2018. Starting 2 weeks ago I am using and evaluating (for free) a test sample – thanks to Sennheiser Germany.
Sennheiser arrived later than other players in this product category, so I was indeed very curious to find out what they are doing differently and maybe better.
Unboxing and first impressions
After opening the parcel I had a true “WOW-Moment” – their case looks beautiful but also robust, grey cotton style like a Shirt. It is going to deliver additional 8 hours of battery life and I am going to carry it in my Jeans pockets. Buds and case could be a bit smaller to be honest. The darbuds have a metal touch-sensitive surface without buttons which increases comfort massively. Their black parts are going to be inserted into the ears and it`s very important to test different sizes of gel buds which are part of the package. Make sure to turn the earbuds inside the ear to get maximum fit and best sound quality. Again, Sennheiser is offering premium quality look and feel here. I put them back into the case for charging and not losing them and magnets are pulling them back into the case – nice and unexpected! An included USB-C cable takes care of charging the case which takes around 80 minutes from 0 to 100%
Listening to Music and joining Conference Calls
The left earbud manages control about your music. One tap plays/pauses, two taps skip the track forwards, another two skip it back. Calls are handled by the right-hand side bud. Volume can be controlled on left and right earbuds by holding it down.
One tap answers and ends calls, calls can be rejected with 2 taps. Music stops when you take Sennheiser Air Momentum out of your ear. Voice commands are helpful here, I didn`t have to read the manual. Top marks for high and easy usability!
When listening to music I really enjoyed the rich and deep bass, Lorde`s “Royals” had a very decent punch. To test high trebles I listened to Portishead`s “Humming” which is full of sound elements to be discovered. Vinyl scratching, cymbals and Hi-Hat have the potential to sound uncomfortale but Momentum True Wireless did a great job and didn`t disappoint here, nevertheless I was more impressed by the bass. Same experience with Steely Dan “Do it again“, a classic song to check out Performance of High Trebles. Guiro, Congas, ride cymbal, electric piano compete for your attention at same time and I could hear each instrument clearly and separately, not melted into each other.
You want to know how the microphones sounds? Hear my voice sample:
Battery status of left and right ear bud is displayed in the App – very nice! Multiple devices can be managed with the App and firmware updated. Hear-through Mode can be enabled which is strongly recommended when using Momentum True Wireless in traffic for safety reasons. Equalizer can be easily changed by touching the display but here I am missing presets for different music styles.
all Spec values from Sennheiser:
- Dimensions: 78.6 x 45 x 35 mm (charging case)
- Microphone: MEMS
- Bluetooth Version: 5.0 compliant, class 1 Supported Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP
- Weight: 69.8 g (earbuds and charging case), 13.2 g (both earbuds), 56.6 g (charging case)
- Charging time: Approx. 1.5 hrs
- Microphone sensitivity: 94 dB SPL at 1 kHz
- Operating temperature: 0 to +40°C
- Power supply: 5 V, 650 mA: USB charging via USB-C socket at charging case
- Battery Specification: Built-in Lithium rechargeable battery
- Frequency range: 5 Hz to 21 kHz (earbuds) and 100 Hz to 10 kHz (microphone)
- Sensitivity: 107 dB SPL (1 kHz / 1 mW)
- Speaker type: Dynamic
- Operating relative humidity: 10 to 80%, non condensing
- Battery time: Up to 4 hrs (A2DP) with rechargeable batteries of the earbuds, Up to
- 12 hrs with rechargeable battery of the charging case
- Water Protection Code for earbuds: IPX4, splash resistant
- Type of Codec: SBC, aptX™, aptX™ Low Latency, AAC
- premium design – very stylish earbuds and case
- excellent and durable quality
- Bluetooth is very reliable and stable. Never had one single issue with connectivity. Take them out of the box when getting a call and it just works. I left my mobile phone 50m away and connection was still good which surprised me.
- bulky design might not be 100% perfect for people with smaller-sized ears
- Active Noise Canceling not available
- Battery life is absolutely fine for one day but not best in class
- Missing Multi Device Support (switch easy between SmartPhone and PC/Mac without reconnecting)
- no NFC Support
If I could talk with Product Management from Sennheiser and submit wishes and feature requests, I would ask for longer battery life, possibility to charge it on my SmartPhone and shrink the size of the earbuds and case.
Momentum True Wireless are a typical Sennheiser Product: Not first early bird on the market but offering excellent microphone and loudspeaker quality with premium design. A kind of device where you pay a bit more compared to other players on the market but you might enjoy it also in 5 years because of it`s robustness and very high German quality standards.
[…] Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless […]